Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rainy Night, Energetic Kids

Last night was a very rainy and my husband was at work, therefore it was my responsibility to entertain the girls. I will admit that I might have over done it last night but I really would rather stay busy than plant them in front of the TV. I started with letting her create a scene from the Melissa and Doug removable sticker books. These are great. I pull the stickers off the sheet and put them in the Tupperware container you see next to her. That way she can grab them as she likes.


The idea is that she had something to do while I got the more complicated art project ready. This QTip painting project was on Pinterest and I was even able to print out a couple of pictures. The pictures have tiny circles inside of them where the child is suppose to place the tip of the QTip. This is great to work on small motor skill development. Lydia started out strong but afterwards was over it. It was too much to do. I should have picked a small or simpler image. When she was done, I transitioned her to play do, which she could do forever and it gave me time to clean up and feed Vivi who was playing in the high chair nearby.





After the art portion of the evening, the rain was down to a drizzle for a bit, I decided it was time for puddle jumping. I put on her a little too big, but were on super sale rain boots and rain coat. It took her a little bit to get into the puddle jumping but our super sweet older neighbors to the left came over and played with her while Vivian and I camped out in the garage. She was soaked but had a great time.


After the puddles we had a little dinner and made some banana bread. I have very basic recipe that I use that my mom loves and I usually give her the loaves. The mashing of bananas is super fun and easy for Lydia at this stage. This type of recipe you just pour everything into the same bowl stir, grease the loaf pan, heat over to 350 and cook for 60 minutes. By the way, I did pour the batter into the pan myself and then posed her for a picture. She is a great help, but she is 2.




Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of bananas
2 cups flour
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs





After the baking we took a group bath. They played in the water for a long time and then we got into pjs for a group story time. These days story time is Lydia and I paying keen attention to the story and Vivian crawling all over us until the end.



You may wonder where Vivian was during so many events. Usually she was very close by, so during art she was in the high chair eating and during puddles she was being held by either me or Emma, the 10 year old neighbor. For a bit I dragged the high chair to the garage and gave her some baby favorites like straws to chew or cold teething items both which are a hit. But she had time to play on her own with the music table and host a little tea party.





It was great fun. Once they were both in bed asleep, I had to go through all the stations of the house and completely clean up our various messes. I was a pooped out mama, but it was a great, educational at times, completely free night, even though it was rainy. Both girls fell asleep instantly.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment