Sunday, February 3, 2008

La Bamba

For endless weeks the jolly crew of Meadowlawn teachers find themselves at a local dive, Johnny Lightening's, on Friday nights. The question that may cross your minds likely is why would educators go to such a random little pub repeatedly. The answer my friends is not just blowing in the wind but singing in the microphone. I do recognize the level of cheesiness in this statement by the way, though it is terribly appropriate when gather for a night of karaoke.

Most of my merry friends are pretty fantastic singers. Tracy has the greatest blues voice, TJ sounds like an angel, Jess and Chadd can rock out with a variety from tunes from country to pop rock to silly, for example, Strokin', is a crowd favorite. I, on the other hand, not known for singing anywhere but the Rock Band stage usually will join as a back up singer or a duet. This week my debut single performance was La Bamba an homage to my people. Well not really my people at all but fun nonetheless.
The safety of this tiny little place allows even the most timid of singers to belt out lyrical genius of those might bands and soloists that we all adore. Not to mention the best grilled cheese in town and a great waitress that just won't quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment