Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

On Thursday we are going to San Fransisco. I am attending the American Academy of Religion conference and can't wait to discuss issues for secondary school religion teachers (I know I am a nerd, but I love this stuff.) I will also get the opportunity to meet my editor and see my co-author of All You Want to Know, Religion, Cults and Popular Culture. So it will be a wonderful time. I convinced Eliot to come as well and bring Lydia so I won't have to be without my baby for 5 days, thus it will be our first time traveling via airplane with her. I am a little nervous because I don't want to be those people with the crying baby but Lydia is pretty good in odd situations. Other than needing to move around a little bit and drink something while the plane is ascending so her ears won't hurt, I hope that she will rally.

What I don't really know how to navigate are the details like security. Since she is under two she doesn't require a ticket but there is no documentation with her name on it, so do they just assume she isn't a terrorist and let her on the plane but she isn't on the plane manifest? We will take her souped up umbrella stroller and check it at the gate but aren't going to take a car seat. We didn't use one in Canada in the taxis and I know from friends that they didn't use one in NYC with their littles, but will the San Fransisco cabis be as flexible? I will call the hotel to verify the pack and play is placed in the room and if it isn't she can snuggle with us, not a problem. Will the security people allow me to take regular milk with me or should I plan to buy some at the airport? Am I permitted yogurt and other "baby" foods or should I just cross my fingers that Lydia with enough hunger will eat what the world has to offer her? Oh the silly world post 9-11 which has complicated such simple things like domestic travel, however I am SO excited about going and that Lydia gets to come!

Lydia has actually been preparing herself for the trip. She naturally shifted her nap time to be 2:30-5:30 which  works wonderfully for travel with a Western time change. She is gifted! San Fran here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment