Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sugar Rush Annoyance

As many know I have had a little bit of roller coaster with my blood sugar testing during pregnancy. While carrying Lydia I was borderline the entire time and the last few months were sugar tests on every visit. I never had gestational diabetes likely because I didn't gain much weight and I delivered vaginally which is rare for those that do have gestational diabetes. Thus this time my midwife wanted to be extra careful. I took my first blood sugar test at about 16 weeks. The hour test came back elevated slightly, so I was required to take the 3 hour test. Against all biological indications I passed all 3 of the blood tests in that series. Success! Honestly, I couldn't believe it.

Imagine my surprise when they told me at my last visit that it was time for my blood sugar testing at 28 weeks.  My mild protest was quickly over when it was explained that now was the traditional timing for the blood sugar testing and thus, it had to be done. I woke up this morning, after fasting all night, dressed and went to the office. I drank the flat orange soda, saw my midwife and waited patiently until they took my blood.

I was told not to indulge on a bagel or any other high carb food because I was already pumped with sugar. I picked up a sausage egg and cheese burrito and some decaf cafe con leche my mom had made for me. When I got to school, I ate a cookie with my advisory thinking that I had already proteined up. Then a small Hindu god of destruction fell on my head. Now I feel a little funny. I don't know if it's the bump on my head or the sugar overload, but I feel sort of yucky. Hoping it passes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment