Friday, March 21, 2008

Public Transit

After a nice laid back first day in the Netherlands, the jetlag hit. We hit a "coffee shop" and decided to head back to our hotel.

Amsterdam must hold some sort of record for public transit options. There are trams, busses, metros, trains, and of course, bikes. Bicycles every where. There really is no reason to have a car at all and wouldn't it be great to be able to tell the oil grubbers to piss off at $3.25 a gallon.

We hopped on the metro to Centraal Station and then decided that the tram was the way to go. Except that we couldn't find the tram stop and E remembered that there was a bus that took us back as well...it was either the 42 or 43 or 41 or...well you see the issue. We got on a bus (to be honest I wasn't sure which actual vehicle we were on.) The bus went, as busses do and our hotel never was a glimmer in the distance.

As our bus changed lanes, I noticed there was a car right next to us. The car took a left turn and was at that moment that I had an ephiphany: We were not on a tram. Trams have tracks. Busses do not. My brilliant discovery. I had mental flow charts and colorful remarks to add but as I tried to explain to E what I had discovered it really didn't seem to have the same impact on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment