Thursday, July 12, 2012

4 Food Tries from Pinterest

Pinned ImageI made these a couple of months ago for a Pharmacist pot luck dinner and then again for Cinco de Mayo. Oreo and Peanut Butter Brownie Cupcakes...seriously, who comes up with these things? I don't know and to be be honest, I don't even care. Absolutely delicious, over the top, only can eat one in an hour, good! They were also super easy to make. I put in cupcake wrappers, I pulled out the oreos spread a little peanut butter on top of each, stacked them in two inside of the wrapper. In a separate bowl, I made the brownie batter and then using a regular spoon I poured the mix on each. Placed them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes and viola! Decadence in a cupcake wrapper. I will say that the second time I made them particulary but also the first but not as much, the wrapper got stuck. We spent a lot of time peeling the wrapper and trying to avoid eating paper. I think if I made them again, I would just butter spray the muffin pan and pour it in. Oh and because I wasn't going to make more than a dozen of these, I made the rest of the batter into brownie bites by pouring them into the mini muffin pan. No waste and a sweet bite that is a little less extreme. Only 3 stars because the darn wrapper situation. It annoyed me.

Pinned ImageTuna Salad with Peas which was super easy to make and very good. I think Eliot and I ate in under two days. I did add dijon mustard because well it's a pasta salad of sort and I think it adds something good. I also added a little fresh cilantro because I had some on hand and it fits the flavor profile with tuna and lemon. I only had sweet onions on hand because we always use those instead of the red onion. I am not sure I notice the difference too much on that but it's just my preference. We would give this a 5 stars.




Pinned ImagePot roast in the crock pot has been a long time battle for me. It has never turned out as moist as I had hoped. This little recipe was amazing. The picture from pinterest did not lead to a link. All it had was a little caption that said to mix a packages of brown gravy, zesty italian dressing, ranch dressing and 1/2 a cup of water but it in the crock pot. Didn't even say how long. With the help of our friendly Publix meat man we selected a rump roast. I seasoned it with salt and garlic powder because I can't imagine not doing do. I made the mixture and poured it over the roast in the crock pot and set it on low. We kept it in there for 6-7 hours at least. It was really really good. It was tender and easy to slice. The juices were tasty and complementary instead of overly salty as many things crock pot cooking recipes have. We were delighted. It was easy. The only disappointment was that I didn't add potatoes or carrots or anything with it in there, perhaps that was why it was so successful. I made sweet potatoes on the side. 5 stars.

Lasagna rolls was my food project for tonight. I like the idea that you don't need to cut through the many layers of pasta and it is also a low carb change as well. To be honest, I didn't even open up the recipe. I just mixed in a bowl garlic, fresh Italian herbs, low fat ricotta, spinach and a handful cherry tomatoes that needed to be eaten. Of course added a little salt and pepper, I cooked the pasta and cooled it with cold water. Using a spoon I simply smeared the mixture and rolled the pasta.I used about 10 pieces, which isn't too much. However for us it was just enough. The recipe on from pinterest loaded up the pasta more which I think made them a little taller and a little fuller. It looks like they fit 12 pieces in the standard glass baking dish. I also put a little sauce on the bottom and the covered up top instead of in the middle. It was good. It was easy. It missed a little something for me, so perhaps next time I will make the recipe rather than roll with the inspiration. I would give it 3 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment