Monday, August 13, 2007

New York City

Ahhh, the honking of morning rush hour wakes me. I slip out of bed and gently push open the curtains, so the smog filled city can enter through the windows. The brightness that isn't muffled by pollution illuminates the room. Rooftops that are part of insignificant buildings across the alley filled with trash bags and ethnic looking workers creates the vision of the real New York. Yesterday's transfer to this city was a little rough because a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour one when the bus got a flat tire. We sat on the side of the road for a good chunk of time and waited for someone to bring us a new bus. A side stop of lunch in glorious North Haven and a nutty route to the hotel (the bus driver missed his turn and then decided it was a good idea to back up on the interstate)created a lengthy trip.

There very well may be some sort of trash strike in the city because it stinks. I have never seen it this way. The city usually has some element of mystique for me but today the view from my window makes it look a little depressing and the trash lined streets makes me a bit concerned. The city is so fast and theatrical in nature and when you are feeling no element of either it makes things a little rough.

This morning I will be taking my advanced class to Columbia for a couple of reasons. One, I like the campus a lot. Two, I know how to get there. As for the lesson, I am sure we can figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment