Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Brilliant Advice

Lydia's doctor appointment went well. She is at the 50% percentile for weight and head size. 75% percentile for height. She is a little ahead of the game at this point with her walking and talking which only makes Eliot and I prouder by the second. I am surprised our pride filled giant inflated selves were able to shimmy out of the exam room door. She did get shots which are never fun, and now we wait to see if her live virus MMR causes the completely normal (but of course I reserve the right to panic) fever and rash a week later.
loving her new chair
The doctor went through her series of questions and asked if she was enjoying her whole milk. I happily reported yes. She then questioned, "in a sippy cup?" to which I responded "no, no need for a sippy cup." Our kind doctor then went into the many many many reasons that toddlers should not use bottles anymore. Shaking my head in shame, I shared my story with one of my besties just yesterday and she gave me a great piece of advice. Advice that should be used with responsible, considerate, appropriateness at all times, but brilliant....wait for it...so good it's hard to keep it under wraps: LIE to the pediatrician.

It never even crossed my mind. Surely I am still the last vestige of the generation that always has clean underwear on before going to the doctor's and always tells the doctor everything, no matter what. Of course the advise is telling a white lie. Will my child be hurt or damaged physically or emotionally if she is still drinking from a bottle at 15 months? No. There are a whole list of these that can apply whether it's the pacifer or sleeping in the crib, since every kid is different and every parent is too. Therefore, a white lie will do just fine. It will serve the doctor's check list, I won't feel guilty, and Lydia will not be taking a bottle to the dorms in Gainesville. This is what we consider a WIN WIN WIN in parenting!

*disclaimer* if your child is not doing normal things like sitting up, talking, or other motor things at the appropriate stage be sure to tell the pediatrician, it could be a sign of something more serious. Sorry felt obligated to include this.

No comments:

Post a Comment