Monday, May 24, 2010

Diapers, Diapers and More Diapers!

We have officially finished registering, sort of. We went to that mecca of red and white with only six aisles of baby gear and it was infinitely less intimidating. We zipped through. We were calm. Collected. It was suggested that we register for diapers. The average infant goes through about 4000 diapers a year and about 10 per day. The more help on this the better. Well it turns out this is yet another minor mystery in the land of babies. There are about a zillion different diapers out there. I took the madness in my own hands and just started zapping all sorts of boxes figuring it really didn't matter all that much. Until El remembered there has been some huge diaper issue causing world spread baby rashes. The Pampers brand had been accused of developing a new extra dry technology that is causing many children to break out. Some of the rashes reported are pretty bad. Then a helpful customer explained more on this breaking story and I had to delete this brand from our possible options.

Of course there are several other options that I could look into like cloth diapers. There are also several philosophies about not using diapers at all...none. For as laid back and granola as I would like to consider myself to be, I just don't think so. I don't really need name brands like Huggies or Pampers. I really don't need organic or super sensitive. I just need them to hold on to the poo.

2 comments:

  1. We have been using the new diapers that have allegedly been causing rashes on other babies, and they have been fine... We were using the original formula - before the DryMax change - and I can't tell a difference at all. We've had a few leakage incidents recently, but I think that has to do more with the volume and velocity of the poo. (Matt is on his way up to change a diaper before we have to call FEMA in.)

    ReplyDelete