Monday, May 17, 2010

"El Toque"

A few months ago my mom shared with me that it is tradition in the part of Cuba that she is from, Holguin, to create a drink during your pregnancy call "El Toque." It's sort of like a sangria because there is fruit in it, sort of like a liquor because it's base is a cordial called Agua Diente known to most of us by gangster rappers as Crystal and sorta like a punch because it's in a large container where later on you will use a ladle to share it with visitors. The idea is that all the ingredients grow and ferment together to create a sweet and tasty treat for all those who supported you through your baby making. The term "toque" means curfew. The finale of something. Gathering the ingredients for this, buying the honey, canned fruit salad, raisins, etc makes me feel a little bittersweet. I am 5 1/2 months pregnant and I can't believe how fast time has gone. With only 16 weeks and counting, Baby Girl Gaurkee will be here any day, the next thing we know she will be in school, in college, getting married and making her own preggers potion. Sometimes life is just too fast. On the other hand, I can't wait to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment