Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Morning Has Broken

Today I had to wake up in the wee hours in the morning to attend a meeting at school. It's early. Early in the morning. I was up before the sun. There is something innately wrong about that. The birds weren't even chirping. The dew of the night was still upon us and I had to get into my car. Immediately, the missing half hour of sleep was noticeable when my head began to throb some. It's pulsating. The thumping is stuck in that tiny space between my eyes and my nose. When I close my eyes again, I get relief, though not very effective teaching technique. In those few moments that I ease the throb, I wonder if my baby girl will understand the crucial necessity of sleep, particularly early morning sleep. I can stay up late. I can be up until 2 or 3 or 4 if need be, I just really not a fan of waking between 5-9. Lately, I have naturally woken up at 9:30 on the weekends which is a triumph. I feel proud. I stand just a little bit taller, but 6 am is absurd. Surely the infant in my womb has my DNA. She must understand in the very core of her animal self that this mother bear enjoys some hibernation, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment